Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Christmas Around the World

My sweet neighbor Barbara gave me free tickets to the Timeless Furnishing's Christmas Around the World. I've always wanted to check it out but never seemed to have time with all the activities we have going on. But with free tickets I wasn't about to miss it. It's Bakersfield's largest collection of Nativity Scenes, Nutcrackers and Gingerbread Houses. There are trees decorated in traditional decor for the different nations that celebrate Christmas. We are not religious what-so-ever but we love the traditions and stories and history of Christmas. This time of year for us, is about making amazing memories and traditions with our families and friends, and charity. Helping others during this time of year and all year is extremely important. Whether it be Toys for Tots, blankets for the Animal Shelter, Christmas Cards for the Serviceman in the Military, Toys & food for the Homeless or our favorite  UPS's Adopt-A-Family. I think it's important to do what you can financially or physically. It's a hard time of year for a lot of people so financially it's difficult to give to charity, but just a little goes a LONG way. 

This was a tad difficult to read and enjoy with small kids. They were extremely bored, and I now know next year it will be something we do sans the children. 

A super tall Nutcracker, he was pretty cool and creepy. 
The gingerbread houses were HUGE! This picture does not do them justice. 
Giant collection of nutcrackers. Nutcrackers always creeped my mom out so we never had them growing up, so I find it kinda strange to collect them lol. Plus the cornsilk hair on some of them gross me out like Barbies do. 
My favorite part was all the trees. Every nation decorates them differently and had different customs regarding the tree. My favorite tradition that made me laugh was Japans. They don't celebrate Christmas bc most of them are not Christians so they eat Christmas cake and fried chicken. It made me chuckle! 
Canadian's eat meat pie, which is just filthy lol! And the Spider Web Legend was really cool! There was also a huge section in the middle full of Nativity Scenes from different collector's in Bakersfield, including my neighbor Barbara's. It was interesting to know that back in the day paper nativity scenes were known as the nativity scenes for the poor. 



No comments: