Sunday, July 10, 2011

Jackson's Birth

Jackson James McGee was born on Monday, April 4, 2011 at 12:57pm, 7lbs 3oz, 19.5 inches, via c-section at Mercy Southwest by Dr. Lewis.  

As most of you know, when I gave birth to Clara I had major complications, so after reconstructive surgery, I have to have c-sections. I was so terrified because I had never had one before and didn't know what to expect. I was horrified at the idea of being awake for surgery. I cried all the way to the hospital that morning, I was so scared. Once I got there Nicole's mama Jeannie was there to greet me and be my nurse for the wonderful event of welcoming Jackson.
Jackson before he met the world in my ginormous belly.
Nicole made Clara the cutest shirt for her baby brother's arrival.
My mom, Clara & I before delivery
Daddy getting ready to go
Dr. Lewis came in on his day off to deliver Jack, and when I was thanking him, he said, "Honey after all we have been through, there was no way I was missing this". I could have cried AGAIN, haha!
All ready to go meet our son.
All taped up and ready to go. I was tremblings so bad once I walked into the operating room from my nerves. They kept asking if I was cold but I wasn't, I was just terrified. The bed was so tiny, I didn't think I would fit on it. When they were doing my spinal block it was the weirdest feeling. I could see Michael talking to Dr. Lewis in the prep area and I held onto Jeannie while they did it. All I felt was a quick prick and then my butt went warm and my legs felt like they weighed TONS. I went numb instantly. I couldn't even lift them to turn onto the bed. Talk about a weird sensation. I stayed numb until that night, which was nice because I was in very little pain until then.
Jack's very first photo
Daddy got to cut the remainder of the cord, I thought that was pretty cool.
Checking out his new baby son.
First time I got a good look at him. Dr. Lewis held him over the curtain for a second when they pulled him out and I just remember thinking he was super tiny and wasn't done growing. We never really were sure on my due date, it kept changing. The pediatric nurse actually thought Jackson was only about 38 weeks gestation rather than 39 weeks due to his smooth feet. I thought he looked like a boy version of Clara with smaller eyes. He was so calm & smooth looking. C-section babies are always so pretty because they don't have all the trauma from the birth canal.
Dr. Lewis & Jackson


Clara's first glimpse of Jack. Apparently she kept taping the window and pointing say "baby".
Some of the family checking out Jackson for the first time. My mom said Michael was so sweet with him, and just was in awe as he stared at his son.
Clara & Grandma


I love this picture of 2 of my favorite men, Dr. Lewis & Mike
Auntie Misty & Clara

Aunt Crissy & Aunt Misty


Once I was in recovery, I was super high on my medications & the natural euphoria of having a baby, so most of this is a blur. It seemed like I waited forever for Jackson, but apparently it was only a few minutes. Jeannie helped me latch him on fairly quickly. He ate pretty good and then would fall asleep. He was a little bit gurgly, so he was in the nursery off and on. So when he was out of the nursery, they wanted me to have him skin to skin or nursing. Mike didn't even get to hold him till later that night.


Jeannie laid Clara on top of me so she could get a closer look while I was nursing. Clara was so sweet with him and touched him so gently.
First family photo.
Kisses for mommy
Jeannie took such amazing care of us. We had the best experience this time around. I was in very little pain, and had the best nurses I could ever ask for, and the nicest room to recover it.
My mom with Jack & I.
Grandparents for the 3rd time in 2 years
Uncle Boba & Clara




Daddy finally holding his son


Auntie Misty was the first person to hold him besides Mike & I.
Aunt Misty & Uncle Eric
The besties


The Nichol's family came to visit us that evening. Here's Tyler & Jackson together.
Katy & Jack
I love this picture of him, he looks so much like Mike
I love to kiss baby feet!

Uncle David & Aunt Linds came to visit us too.

Uncle Bud came later that night, he was at work, so he couldn't wait to come meet him.
Grandma Terry & Steve came to visit too.
My dad had a dentist appt early the next morning in the same building at the hospital, so he came to hold little Jack. He was pretty tickled that he got to hold Jack before my mom, haha!
Jackson's hearing test, it was pretty awesome, I didn't see them do Clara's.
Grandma brought Clara over the next morning, she was playing with her belly button here.
My friend Becky, she made this beautiful blanket for Jackson.
Jeannie, Nicole (Cole as Clara calls her), & Jack
My friend Stephie surprised me with a visit. I was so excited to see her.
Clara "holding" Jack for the first time.

So sweet with kisses, she just adores him.
Aunt Sharon finally holding Jackson. She was scared to hold him the first night.

Here I am recovering. I just have to say that this was so much easier from when I had Clara. C-sections are a breeze!! They gave me a thing called a binder, that held my stomach in so it helped so much with getting up. I was in some pain but NOTHING compared to when I had Clara. Plus I was in such good hands. I was nervous to go home but once we were home, I actually felt even better.
My friend Erin with Jackson
Aunt Crissy came to visit Jackson that morning too.
On the way home
Daddy & Jack getting out of the car

Home Sweet Home, I had so much more milk this time around with him. However, at his 1 month appointment, he had only gained 4oz, when he should have gained 1oz per day. So we had to start supplementing with formula because his liver was abnormal because he was malnourished. Once I started supplementing he would no longer breastfeed. It was too much work for him, so I tried pumping and feeding him that way, but I ended up drying up. So I nursed him for about a month & a half,  & I still have some milk frozen. It's been the hardest thing for me to accept that I'm not nursing. I nursed Clara for a full 9 months. After talking to his pediatrician Dr. Pardo, she made me feel so much better about it. She said I had to let the guilt go, and do what's best for him since he won't nurse. She said that he's already gotten all the immunities from the first few days of nursing. I had no idea that was the case. I thought they received immunities throughout nursing, so that alone made me feel a million times better. I just don't like the idea that some people judge moms that don't nurse and they don't know what's going on in their particular situation. All I know is that formula saved Jack!! He put on weight immediately!  So that's all that matters.
First night home, my parents brought us pizza for dinner and brought Clara to visit Jack. They kept Clara for us for the whole week. We had him on a Monday, they kept her till Friday. I had never been so emotional & anxious in all my life to get her home, except for when I had my reconstructive surgery. I couldn't see her for 6 days straight. That was torture.
Great Grandma Virginia holding Jack for the first time.
Uncle Thomas & Aunt Cole came to visit
Our beautiful flowers my parents sent us.
I'm so thankful we named him Jackson James, after Mike's grandpa & cousin Jimi. James is a name in my family as well, my grandpa Sonifrank, uncle Eddy & brother Thomas all have the name James. Jack fits him so well!
He was the sleepiest baby I had ever encountered. He slept constantly. He's still like that at 3 months old. He's the most amazing, calm, laid back baby. We are so proud to call him our son. He has brought such joy into our lives.

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

That was the longest post ever! But it was great! We love baby Jack Jack. Sarah sat with me and looked at all the pictures and pointed out everyone by name.