Sunday, March 11, 2012

Mirror Re-do

Since my parents moved into their new house, my mom has been downsizing on items bc she has a lot of NEW fun things or doesn't have places for certain items. So I gladly take them for myself!! This mirror my grandpa Spicket made for her. It's quite large and she didn't have a place for it. It's very special bc it's hand made by him and I LOVED it but wanted to paint it. I originally had plans to hang it outside and put plants on it, like my mom had done. But with our labs, they would possibly jump up on it and break it and eat all my plants.

 Here it is in its original form, a lovely honey stain. 
 Here's where I screwed up BIG time!! Instead of laying down painters tape first, I laid out the newspaper and slid it under the frame and taped it in place. Stupid, Stupid, STUPID! Basically as I painted the newspaper stuck to the frame underneath and I had to take a razor blade and scrape it off the wood underneath without breaking the frame. It was a mess and it still doesn't look right. :-/
 I bought Behr paint & primer in Mermaid "something", I can't remember. 

 I didn't sand it or anything. I just cleaned it off really good, and then applied two coats. 
Since it was for outside I had no where specifically planned for it in my house. None of the rooms in our house are decorated or painted except for the bedrooms, so I decided that the laundry room needs to be done in teal & white. I just need to make some cute curtains for the windows, paint the hall of cabinets white, and paint the walls. I'm so excited!! Check out the cutie in the mirror!!

Linking to Primative & Proper @ http://primitiveandproper.blogspot.com/2012/07/poww-97-furniture-link-party.html

No comments: