Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Potty Training Clara

When I took Clara for her 2 year check up, Dr. Pardo said it was time to start potty training her. I wasn't sure if she was ready yet. She didn't understand when she had to pee, and the sensation of peeing. But Dr. Pardo and my mom both reassured me that she would learn it with training. She suggested that I set up a calendar on the wall with some fun stamp markers that she can play with every time she sits on the potty, and then reward only poop with a treat. So instead of a calendar on the wall, I just decided to set up coloring central in the bathroom. I got all of her markers and paper and a tv tray for the bathroom and she would color every time she sat on the potty. We started on a Monday and by Monday at noon I wanted to quit, haha! It was so annoying and time consuming. She practically sat on the potty ALL day long. So Jack and I were in there with her ALL day long too. He was fussy, Clara was fussy and mommy was miserable. But I stuck it out. The next day, she seemed a little better. She was beginning to understand the urge to pee. I cleaned up a lot of pee and poo off the floor. Pooping in the potty was very scary for her we had numerous accidents. I would say a good two weeks into it and she had the hang of it. We still have a few accidents every once in a while, but NEVER poop accidents. She only goes in the potty for that. She has been amazing to me, how fast she learned the sensation and to go in the potty. She hates it at night when I put the pull up or diaper on her. It has been great that I won't have to buy diapers anymore for her. I have one last small box and only use about 1 a day at night. I'm not sure how night training works. And going in public is a little scary for her but she's been getting better about it.
 Day one of the training
 looking miserable with her box of crayons
 so bored waiting to pee
She played with Jessie & Woody for a while on her table. She sang Yodel Yodel Yodel.
 Asleep in her Nemo panties.

She pretty much hangs out in her panties all day long. She tells me right away she has to "Pee Pee" and then runs to the bathroom. She usually wants to bring something with her like: keys, hair bows, toys, just random things. She's obsessed with the step stool she uses to wash her hands. So far, so good. I think she's just about trained! whew, it was rough at first lol!

No comments: